Thursday, July 17, 2008

Do you like the F-word?

lindsay

We at the Oregon State Women's Center Center like the F-word. In fact, we loooove it. We use the F-word whenever we can. We espeically like to use it around people who have never heard of it -- there's nothing like a good teaching moment. In the words of one of our workers, "we throw the F-word around like candy."

We're talking about Feminism, don't ya know.

We work at the Oregon State Women's Center (also know as the little blue house that resides next to the library in lovely Corvallis, Ore.) and we'd like to welcome you to our blog. We're new to this, so please be nice.

It's the summer, so things are a little slow at the WC right now. So this is a perfect time to spend countless hours on the internet attempting to figure out how the hell this is all going to work. We have ideas -- we have a camera and a videocamera and cool, fun people. We'll see how that all translates to the online community.

Send us questions, comments, concerns and (APPROPRIATE) jokes. We also enjoy news updates and fun pictures. And of course, if you have a story to share about women, feminism or anything else, we want to hear it. You can reach us at womenscenter@oregonstate.edu. Don't be shy; we love pen pals.

We'll be back later with more. We'll tell you about our center, about the people that work here and about how we're going to change the world. Stay tuned.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE the F-word too! I know I use the word as much as possible! I'm glad you to see that The WC is now online!

Elle said...

Hey! F-you too!! xxoo elle

Raelinor said...

Sweet, a blog. I've wondered one thing before and I don't know if this is the right place to ask it, but is the Women's Center intended for all women or only ones with a certain ideology, and if they don't have that, is it intended to bring them to that ideology? For example, would say, conservative or fundamentalist Christian women be welcome? Are people allowed to disagree with some presumable feminist precepts (say for example matters of sexuality or whether abortion is a-ok or not) or is that taboo? Anyhoos, that's been floating around in my head for a bit, so I thought I'd get it out there. Thank ya for your time.

Kickin It at the Oregon State WC said...

Raelinor -- we are absolutely here for ALL women! We have women who work and hang out here regularly who identify as conservatives, as Christians, as everything. Swing by sometime and see what we're all about. I promise, we don't bite ... (well, unless you have candy with you or something.)

Raelinor said...

Thanks for the reply. I've been over there and even participated in an art show (which was totally awesome, thanks for putting it on), but I've always had it in the back of my head that if y'all knew what I thought about some stuff (say oh, homosexuality.. I know, I know... [hate to even mention it]) I'd get rejected. I can be pretty feisty sometimes. :P But, as long as disagreements are kept respectful I can live with that, and I bet you can too. Don't know if you personally were around for it, but there was that anti-abortion/pro-abortion thing in the quad and I just felt like both sides (which I talked to) were really missing something... I thought both were failing to look at how society makes it necessary for abortions, such as still-standing taboos about sex outside of marriage and resulting ostracization (thanks to some lines of "Christian" thought, which the anti-abortion group should really think about) lack of governmental and private support, or how society makes it hard to pursue education and motherhood. There's more to it than that only that obviously, but not sure it's the place to write about it all in a comment plus I need to sally forth here. But yeah, I think people need to look at the root issues, instead of skimming the surface or judging individual people. It's deeper than that. Thank you for your time. Peace.

Unknown said...

Raelinor,
Words are powerful. It is important to remember that "Pro-Choice," does not equal pro-abortion or anti-life. If there were no more need for abortions I believe that those who support a woman's right to choose would rejoice from the mountain tops. You raise interesting points that all lead to a simple answer and resolution; educate, educate, educate. It can be done, however, the group in the quad, which I believe is called "Bio-Ethics Reform," does not wish to engage in dialog that would promote healthy behaviors and societal norms. They have been coming year after year, and believe me when I say that we have tried. Our main purpose for having a presence in the quad is simply support for our students. The Genocide Awareness Project seeks to instill fear and guilt to women (did you see any of those posters target men, who are 1/2 the responsible party for unplanned pregnancies? No...) through violent images and irresponsible prose. A large population of visitors to the OSU Quad are young women, many of whom are vulnerable to their messages of hate. They claim to be Christians, however, comparing a woman who has an abortion to Hitler, doesn't exactly fall under the command to "Love Thy Neighbor."